Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

Mar 28, 2011

In Times of Prayer

There's something about spring that is so motivating...  People come out of their shells a bit (Or hibernation as a little girl at my sons school, matter-of-factly expressed).  Windows are thrown open, even when it's still only 33 degrees in Chicago.  Jackets are put in the closet, replaced with sweatshirts.  And flip flops make their way out, even though we have to wear them with socks for a bit.

The air smells clean (if you can smell at all, for those of you with seasonal allergies like me) the sun is brighter than ever, and the car is even a bit warm when you climb in every morning.

We have busily been making some changes around the Duffy house.  Moving furniture around, making rooms more accomodating, and giving the kids a little more space of their own (I have an independent bunch over here!)

But while I'm busy in my home, taking care of my family, and cleaning the winter out of the corners, some families out there are in a different place.  In a hospital chair, at a loved ones bedside.  In a foreign land, being told to leave without their child.  About to become mommy's without anyone around to help.

It could be anything really.  From far away you may think there is not much that can be done, but there IS!  I've seen some strange things in the last few weeks.  Friends and enemies banding together for a miraculous cause...

I've had my moments in life that have led me to uncomfortable places.  Places where the unknown is present, new things and changes take over, challenges in front of me to be faced.  In these times I always wonder what changes in me.  How did I get there, and how did I make it through?  I used to think that it was always God, putting me on a path, and showing me how to navigate it.  While this is true, over the years, I've started hearing people around me talk about things they are praying for, people who needed lifting up, situations that needed resolution, even if they weren't apart of their own lives.  It's something I've always done, always hoping God would answer my prayer for them.  Some how I was a bit misconstrued on this concept though... I never thought about other people praying for ME, even when I didn't ask for it.  And still never put two and two together, when something miraculously changed in my life...

Then I started to see what I'm calling the 'invisible prayer chain'.  "How was I ever convinced to do THAT?" I'd say.  Soon my answer became another question.  "What if someone else prayed for me to do THAT?"  How quickly a perspective changes.   People that pray, that are faithful, that lift his name up.  There's power in that!  God orchestrates, because his believers call on him.  God answers prayers because others believe.  God wants for YOU, and others want for you too!  Someone (or many someones) prayed, and a life was changed.  Not adjusted, or modified from the original.  CHANGED.  Only God can do that, and only prayer can answer it.  I guess it just took 28 and half years of life for me to realize that someone can pray for ME, and my life can be changed too!

It's powerful, and it's needed.  If you can spare a few moments to read through some tough journeys that are going on right now, some families out there might be able to experience the life and joy that comes with the power of prayer.

First, a family is adopting a precious little boy that has down syndrome.  However, the judge in this child's country decided after a 5 hour court hearing, that their child is better off staying in an institution, instead of being joined with his forever family.  Please pray for this family and their fight to transform the minds of the judges, so they can be reunited with their son and bring him home!  You can follow along with them here:

http://oureyesopened.blogspot.com/

Another family, that Marty and I had the pleasure of growing up with and had as classmates, is having a medical crisis.  He's a sweet man named Godfrey.  Please take a few minutes to read about him and his wife, Corinth, daughter Charissa, and baby #2 on the way.  Pray for miraculous healing and strength!  They are in desperate need for an opportunity for Godfrey to be transferred to Chicago for the care to make him well, and the insurance company has denied their funding..  Pray for their fight to transform the minds of those involved in the insurance decision, so Godfrey will get the care that he needs, and back with his family!  You can follow their journey here, and join them in prayer in their guestbook!

http://www.godfreyjamescatanus.com/

Have a big mountain to be moved?  Feel free to post a comment or message me about.  Others will be praying! They always do :)

"Now Faith is being sure of what we hope for and CERTAIN of what we do not see...."  Hebrews 11:1


~Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment