Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

Apr 28, 2009

A gift becomes a nightmare, nightmare comes true, and the truth becomes our dream..


I’ve always been quite unique. I like what I like. I like special things, yet I like them plain. You see?

A week short of our 1st 6 months dating, Marty got down on one knee, in his kitchen (as I was swearing at the wine bottle because I couldn’t get it open) and said something that I’ll never forget. I can’t forget something I didn’t hear right? As Marty I’m sure was saying, probably the most romantic thing he could ever say, I, 1- was swearing at the wine bottle 2- then asking him what he was doing on the floor 3- looking up and seeing his sister Maureen crying (why, I wasn’t sure) and 4- was hearing Marty’s mother, Mary, saying “He’s doing it right now? Frank, is he doing it right now?”

Seriously, I all of the sudden thought I was on an episode of Seinfeld and the Castanza’s were over for dinner…. But for as much as I would like to admit that it was lovely, I couldn’t hear what he said, and much time later, when I finally admitted I couldn’t hear what he had said, he couldn’t remember.. So hunny, I'm sorry I didn't get to hear what you had probably been going over in your head for weeks, and so thoughtfully prepared!!!!

But! My saying yes, had nothing to do with anything he would have said right then. I knew from the beginning we were going to get married. So amidst the confusion, he handed me the bag I was looking for (it was the doggies b-day and I asked him to get her a new collar on his way home) and dangling from the end of the new collar (black velvet with a cute little bow, good job Marty!) was my ring. At first I thought, “oh how cute, you found a collar with a pearl on it” But then after looking up at the Castanza’s and Mo crying in the background, I realized he was proposing, and that it was a ring for me! The perfect pearl I always wanted, surrounded by petals of diamonds. How crazy. I knew that ‘the one’ was truly going to be the one that actually listened when I hinted at wanting something other than a diamond. And here I had my perfect pearl gracing the center of my husbands eternal symbol of love and affection. The Perfect Pearl.

The perfect pearl that plagued me with nightmares for many months to come..... Each one bringing to life the fear of the pearl (with no prongs!) missing, and my never ending search for it’s safety. Everytime I awoke, I would run to the where my ring was placed, and check to make sure it was still there. Until one day, all became reality. Of all days, February 14th of this year, we were throwing a couples Valentines day dinner, and I had just settled into the table, after hours of cooking and preparing. Finally, my first time to sit down and enjoy the company, and what do I find? A pearl’less’ ring… My nightmares had become reality. What made it worse? The thought that I had just prepared a 4 course dinner for 10 couples and then proceeded to throw hunks of ‘white’cheese, no less at our dogs for being such good sports. Oh heavens, it could have been anywhere…

Several days later, after much cleaning, a very unhappy couple we were. We made some phone calls and found that the pearl could easily be replaced. We were ok with that, but sadden that it wouldn't be 'the one' and we were also told that in the future, I should not where my ring everyday..

Thankfully, low and behold a few days later, after grabbing the last towel on the shelf in my bathroom ( which I had folded and put away just minutes before guests arrived for Valentines day), I hear this rolling sound. Just as if someone was rolling a quarter across a table. I turn back to see my pearl roll across the shelf, and without even realizing it, in my head I go “Dear Lord, please give me the patience I need today. I watched my husband put up this shelf, using a level, and yet something is rolling across this poor shelf. I know that there are more important things in life, than shelves being level, so please God, today, I need to be reminded of that” haha, then after a small chuckle I realize, It’s my pearl! I quickly recanted “Dear Lord! Thank you so much for my husband that can’t put up a level shelf!!! AMEN!”


I love you so much hunny!!!


2 comments:

  1. That pearl must have been a foreshadowing of the "Pearl of Africa". We're glad to have you here in Bloggerland! Can't wait to follow your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete