Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

Feb 10, 2010

Why I'll never own a snowblower...


I've never had the luxury of knowing what it's like to park my car in a garage.. I went from my parents driveway, to a parking lot @ school, to an alley by my apartment, back to my parents driveway, and now my driveway...

Until we build a garage (ours was converted into a room) our cars hang out in the driveway. Yesterday with the foot of snow that came, I was thankful that Marty was actually HOME for a snow storm. Typically he 'happens' to be out of town when we get slammed with snow, and I'm either stuck shoveling alone, or not going anywhere and the snow just piles up. But yesterday Marty was actually home, so we went out after dinner and shoveled together.

While I was a bit peeved when after I had bundled myself up trudged out there and shoveled a few rows, Marty THEN suggested that I clear off the cars and move them so we can shovel what's around them. So I had to trudge back inside, take my snowy stuff off get the keys, put my snowy stuff back on and trudge back out (which I had to do twice because the first time I couldn't find either set of keys and had to go outside and ask Marty, who had his headphones on so I had to put everything back on, just to walk down to the end of the driveway to ask him, come back, take off, etc) But all said and done, it all got done much faster than when one of us has to do it alone. And I'm very systematic, so conquering a task like that is always fun for me.

But it makes me appreciate my relationship with Marty so much. We do grocery shopping together, gardening, household stuff, etc. We like working together on stuff. I don't want to be one of those couples that 'she does the shopping and he pays the bills.' That's no fun... So, I don't think we'll ever own a snowblower. It's tough labor shoveling the driveway, but we do it together, and the labor part helps us to stay humble in knowing that we should appreciate the fact that we have able bodies that can shovel the driveway. 2 months living in Kampala, trudging up and down hilly streets with bags and sometimes a 30 pound kid on my back or hip in 90 degree heat, was great fun. That's how most of the people there live everyday! I think I'm capable of shoveling the snow with my husband 20 times a year.

Plus, we won't have to do it forever. We'll eventually be able to just make the kids do it. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment